Thursday, September 9, 2010

Supplies, at last!

Woo hoo! My research supplies finally arrived yesterday. It felt like Christmas had come early. I don't remember the last time I felt so giddy opening a box full of stuff!! Now that I have all my stuff, you'd think I could start working, right? Wrong. Obtaining the tissue samples I need for my research is a bigger hassle than I had anticipated. Too many ethical permits and applications need to be filled out... but luckily, someone else in the lab who has an ethical permit to collect tissue samples will help me. Whew.

After barely avoiding this obstacle, I became re-excited about commencing work... only to be brought down by some Swedish cold virus... Now, all I can do is stay at home and hope my immune system does its job. I know everyone gets sick at some point in a foreign country, so I was expecting this... but I have to ask the virus this: why now?  Why not two weeks ago when I had absolutely NOTHING to do? boo.

Other than my non-existent research, I'm starting to enjoy life out here. (I'm not sure if this is a result of the weather being sunny and warm all week). The acapella choir is really fun, but I should really start taking those Swedish lessons soon if I want to start understanding more than 2% of rehearsal. In addition to choir, I signed up for a Lindy Hop course. Why? Well, this form of swing dance is extremely popular in Sweden, and when in Sweden, do as the Swedes do?? So, I went to a trial course last week, it was incredibly fun, and now I'm hooked. :) This weekend, there's an outdoor Lindy Hop event. I will attend said event on two conditions: the weather and my health. So here's to good weather and a speedy recovery!!

By the way, a picture album of Stockholm will be coming your way very soon.  I just have to remember to start carrying around my camera everywhere I go.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to learn your supplies came at last - now you can begin your work! Sad to learn you aren't keeping good health - hope you feel better and hop on your toes for the Lindy hop!! Love you

    ReplyDelete